Rebirth Rebirth Expansion
Diablo Expansion: The Rebirth

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the 'StealVision'-Skill work as intended?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebirth Expansion Forum Index -> Horadrim's Hall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trimayne
Disciple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Does the 'StealVision'-Skill work as intended? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Before I do start to talk about the above-mentioned topic, I wanted to thank you for your tremendous effort Labiri, since it really has been a pleasure playing through this modification, which has surely earned the title 'expansion' for its massive newly-created as well as creative content.

- Topic-Related:

So why do I pose this question, well simply because when using the Skill the following things do happen:

1) All monsters are made visible

2) All items are marked

3) When moving the mouse over a non-identified magical item (on the ground) while StealVision is active one gets to read what it will be in the end (in connection with the newly-crafted affixes-section of your site I'm able to know whether or not I want to pick up a certain magical item before I've even identified it)

4) The Item-Drop-Code is affected by it, since all items, which were dropped by an enemy were magical.. with no exception...25 times a magical item.. the only non-magical item, that I've received was a cap --> was inside a chest. [3 times
alright.. but 25 times that's too much luck for one person in just an hour Smile]

I suspect, that a lot more people do know that, but might not have considered that an issue, but well even though I'm not one of those people, that do reduce a marvellous game to a simple item-hunt Wink I wouldn't want to find so many magical items at once, but yeah that's just my opinion... let me know, if I've found out about a buggy behaviour or uncovered a secret game-feature Very Happy

Regards,
Trimayne

Last edited by Trimayne on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
LABiRi
Master Of The Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Hello Trimayne, what a pleasure to read you here Smile Thanks for your comments, always welcome.

Regarding the topic, you are surely talking about first levels: infact, the mummies will always drop a magic item, inspite of experience points (zero).
This kind of "feature" was made to help players in the beginning, but after the first levels this "kindness" ends and all turns normal.
Just a little note about Stealvision: as you would notice, it's composed by two effects: Precognition and Infravision, than can end independently.

Thanks again for coming here Smile
Disciple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

LABiRi wrote:
Regarding the topic, you are surely talking about first levels: infact, the mummies will always drop a magic item, inspite of experience points (zero).
This kind of "feature" was made to help players in the beginning, but after the first levels this "kindness" ends and all turns normal.

Right, should have ventured deeper before I start commenting in such a way.. sorry Smile

LABiRi wrote:
Just a little note about Stealvision: as you would notice, it's composed by two effects: Precognition and Infravision, than can end independently.

Yep, which is why I constantly kept recasting it Wink

LABiRi wrote:

Well, I've guessed, that there must be some reason for Ychiju's 'Rebirth'-obsession.. and there surely is one Smile

So, you currently have 2/4 of the Diablo Evolution Team here... potentially 3/4 as I've informed Mystery yesterday and he seemed to be very interested as well Very Happy

Finally two other things, that I've noticed:

- Kryo at one point shared a speech of Farnham with me

- There are some minor typos findable in the new NPC-shared texts (If you would like to see that corrected.. I would gladly assist you there Smile)

Thank you for the more-than-just-friendly welcome Wink

Trimayne

Last edited by Trimayne on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
LABiRi
Master Of The Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Eheh very glad to see all of you guys coming here, that's more of what I expected from myself.

Btw I'll glady accept your help for any correction, just create a topic to list them and version-by-version I'll update Smile
Disciple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

LABiRi wrote:
Hello Trimayne, what a pleasure to read you here Smile Thanks for your comments, always welcome.

I was also curious about this, but didn't have the idea of creating a topic about it. Anyway, I've played throughout all of normal and nightmare with Alamara, my level 27 thief, and no such end has hit me yet. I've been doing dlvl 15-16 runs with my Thief, and I end up leaving probably 25-50 magical items on the ground after viewing what they are and recognizing their worthlessness. I hadn't thought to relate this insane magic find to the Steal Vision skill, but I guess that it is a possibility that a bug exists with it.

Also, you left this unanswered:

Trimayne wrote:
3) When moving the mouse over a non-identified magical item (on the ground) while StealVision is active one gets to read what it will be in the end (in connection with the newly-crafted affixes-section of your site I'm able to know whether or not I want to pick up a certain magical item before I've even identified it)

Was that intended?
Trimayne
Disciple

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Alamara wrote:

I was also curious about this, but didn't have the idea of creating a topic about it. Anyway, I've played throughout all of normal and nightmare with Alamara, my level 27 thief, and no such end has hit me yet. I've been doing dlvl 15-16 runs with my Thief, and I end up leaving probably 25-50 magical items on the ground after viewing what they are and recognizing their worthlessness. I hadn't thought to relate this insane magic find to the Steal Vision skill, but I guess that it is a possibility that a bug exists with it.

Well, I've tried the other two characters first, where no such great number of magical items was yielded by the monstrosities, which is why I was so astounded to learn, that the Thief can't suffer from not having enough of them in a short period of time... Smile ...the only connection, that came to my mind was her skill, as that one clearly is item-related... [But then ... I did meet the mummies for the first time with her]

I'm running a test at the moment, so the results will follow soon.

[Edit:]

First Run:

Level 1 - no mummies generated... sole enemy classes were Drakes & Kin Brutes.. --> 50% cleared no magical item found (skill not used); 100% cleared every non-bone- and non-stick-item was magical (skill activated) [15 items]

Second Run:

Level 1 - mummies were there... skill wasn't activated... every magical item, that I've found was dropped by them

Level 2 - no mummies... again every non-bone- & non-stick-item was magical (skill activated) [20 items]

Third Run:

Level 1 - skill activated, mummies part of the population, every non-bone, non-stick, non-cap, non-blocker & non-oculus drop was magical (no matter the enemy-class)

Level 2 - skill activated, no mummies... still every drop, that matches the description above was magical [20 items]

Level 3 - skill deactivated, no mummies... one magical & one unique drop [boss-monster]...

I don't know, if this does prove anything... but well it certainly looks strange Wink... a lot more tests including the other classes would certainly show, if that theory could be of any relevance.. (if you care to find that out of course Very Happy... after all it's just a speculative matter)

Alamara wrote:
Also, you left this unanswered:
Trimayne wrote:

Was that intended?

I guess so... as Labiri explained, that the skill does consist of two indepent effects:

1) Infravision (= Enemies are uncovered)

2) Precognition (= Knowing which magical item you've found, while it lies unidentified on the ground)...... since precognition means knowing something before it is actually possibly to have the knowledge of that specific thing

My fault.. I didn't really say anything regarding that explanation, which is why you've overlooked that.... sorry Wink

Trimayne
LABiRi
Master Of The Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the tests Smile
Precognition does actually highlight items on ground AND revealing their identified name.
For stealvision, I don't think it really affects magic find, since I checked the code and nothing seems to be shared between these codes.
Question
Disciple

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Yeah, I did only mention in my first post, that highlighting items is also an effect of that skill (one, which I didn't consider to be initiated by some bug Smile)

Concerning that Magic Find - Thingy .. was there any other code-change, that a) might be related to it and b) is thief-only... or I don't know... bow-only? (trying to make up useful scenarios)....

I'll surely get back to this, when I do have enough characters (all three) available to run extensive tests Wink

(20 runs ... several different setups... comparison of the total amount of magical items, that were yielded)

Last edited by Trimayne on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:48 am; edited 2 times in total
LABiRi
Master Of The Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Trimayne wrote:
Concerning that Magic Find - Thingy .. was there any other code-change, that a) might be related to it and b) is thief-only... or I don't know... bow-only? (trying to make up useful scenarios)....

I'll surely get back to this, when I do have enough characters available to run extensive tests Wink

Nothing I could imagine... Question Let me know the results of your tests, I hope it's just a suggestion GhGh
Disciple

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Smile I certainly will inform you...
Sj3
Right-hand man of The Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Welcome Trymayne!
Do you remember me? Very Happy
(Stefanoj3)

Ehm...Look
Trimayne
Disciple

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Of course I do Smile

How could I not remember someone, who has provided such an useful tool (the Palette-Editor) Wink

But well.. I do have a question, that you could possibly answer:

Where would I find the NPC-Messages, meaning any newly-written REX-only text by (for example) Kryo? ... are they stored in the .EXE? If so, I had a really hard time trying to find them and therefore woud gladly accept any help, that you could offer Smile

Trimayne

Last edited by Trimayne on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sj3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Rebirth's .exe have a little protection Razz
You cant edit/read it like the original diablo's .exe

Ehm...Look
Trimayne
Disciple

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

I see... would you mind copying all the NPC-dialogues then and afterwards either pasting them here or in a private message?

[Surely you would know how to extract that data from the .EXE, wouldn't you?]

Since I've offered to correct the minor typing errors, which they do contain...Smile [I could copy them from screen (ingame), but that definitely takes a lot longer as it necessarily has to take, right? Very Happy]

Could you do that?...

I would certainly appreciate it Wink

Let me know.

Trimayne
Sj3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: (No subject) Reply with quote

Trimayne wrote:
I see... would you mind copying all the NPC-dialogues then and afterwards either pasting them here or in a private message?

[Surely you would know how to extract that data from the .EXE, wouldn't you?]

I can't do that, you must speak with Labiri, when he return from holydays.

Trimayne wrote:
Since I've offered to correct the minor typing errors, which they do contain...Smile

This is a good idea Wink

Ehm...Look
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebirth Expansion Forum Index -> Horadrim's Hall All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: